Despite what modern educators and technology wizards may think, legible handwriting is not obsolete. It brings a personal touch to our correspondence. The Spencerian form of penmanship is a highly-regarded and beautiful form of cursive writing. The very affordable series can be used to introduce cursive to elementary students, to improve the handwriting of older students and adults, or as an art form much like calligraphy.
The five copybooks listed below make a complete course in cursive handwriting.
- Book 1 Introduces all the short letters. Only four strokes, or principles, as Spencer called them, are needed to produce these letters.
- Book 2: Adds some of the tall letters - t and d - and the numerals 1-9.
- Book 3: Completes the lower case alphabet and introduces most of the capitals.
- Book 4: Completes the capital alphabet and provides practice on all the letters as they appear in words.
- Book 5: Presents sentences and sayings for writing practice. Examples: Kind words can never die. Promise little and do much.
Spencerian Penmanship Copybook Set (5 books)
Page Count: 24 pages in each book
Author: Platt R. Spencer
Age: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, adult
Grade: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Topic: Penmanship, Handwriting